I teamed this veg-packed buckwheat noodle stir-fry with a full flavoured silky sauce. Garlic, chilli and maple syrup combine with the distinct, explosive flavours of tangy tamarind fruit to make a sweet and sour sauce that you’ll enjoy eating with anything and everything – including all your greens!
- In a frying pan, toast the cashews for a few minutes, tossing every now and then until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- Add the coconut oil to the same pan and heat to medium. Fry the shiitake mushrooms (don’t overcrowd the pan or they will steam) for a few minutes until nicely browned on each side. Remove from the pan and set aside in a large bowl and sprinkle with a little sea salt.
- In the same pan, combine all the ingredients for the tamarind sauce and let them simmer for 5 minutes, lid on.
- Meanwhile, cook the buckwheat noodles in plenty of boiling water (according to pack instructions, ours take about 6 minutes), then drain and rinse with cold water.
- Put the noodles into a large bowl with the spring onions and mushrooms and toss with the sesame oil (or extra virgin olive oil) to prevent the noodles from sticking.
- Add the broccoli and green beans to the tamarind sauce and let them cook in the sauce for 5 minutes, lid on.
- Add the tamarind vegetables to the noodles and toss everything together.
- Serve hot or cold with toasted cashews and lime wedges.