I know that raw kale may sound terrible, but trust me it can be really amazing. It’s one of my all time favourite recipes. I make it all the time – it’s just so easy, so delicious and it makes me feel so awesome. The trick to getting kale delicious is to make it wonderfully soft and tender, which I do by massaging the leaves with a delicious dressing of tahini, tamari and apple cider vinegar or lime. This breaks down the cell wall of the kale, allowing it to wilt, absorb all the incredible flavours and become insanely good. I then mix the marinated kale with sweet juicy pomegranates, creamy avocado cubes and a sprinkling of crunchy sunflower seeds to create the perfect light meal or a beautiful side dish – or you can add in things like roasted squash or sweet potato, toasted cashews or some quinoa to make it more of a meal on it’s own.
The other awesome thing about this salad is that it keeps really well, unlike rocket salads which get soggy and unappetising really quickly. This salad actually does the total opposite and gets nicer the longer you leave it (within reason!), as it just becomes softer and more tender. It’s a great healthy eating on-the-go lunchbox. Plus kale is such an awesome superfood, so each bite will have you glowing from the inside out, while also making your tastebuds very happy!
INGREDIENTS🙁 for one serving)
- four big handfuls of kale
- 1/3 of a cup of pomegranates
- 1 ripe avocado
- a handful of pumpkin seeds
- For the dressing
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of teaspoon of tahini
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar or 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon of tamari
- 1 lime
- Start by washing the kale, then tear small pieces off the stems, discarding the stems and placing the leaves into a bowl.
- Drizzle all the dressing ingredients onto the kale. Then use your hands to firmly start massaging it all into the leaves, as you do this you’ll feel the leaves soften and wilt. Keep massaging them for a few minutes to make sure they’ll really soft, at this point stir in the pomegranates and avocado cubes.
- Mix altogether for a amazingly tasty salad.