Green Tea Rice with Vidalia Onions & Cherries
If you make a batch of rice on a Sunday night then you’ve gotta few days worth of yummy recipes to make. Rice porridge for breakfast, rice salad for dinner and rice pudding for dessert. I try to make my rice salads in a simple way using brown rice, Vidalia onions, fresh cherries, summer fresh basil and freshly brewed green tea. It’s the best and is one of my favorite lunches.Rice is the perfect post-indulgent weekend meal option to combat that bloating and great pre or post workout fuel.
Prep time Cook time Total time
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Vegetarian, Vegan
Serves: 4 Ingredients
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice
- 1½ cups green tea, brewed and chilled
- 1 large Vidalia Onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh pitted cherries
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh baby spinach
- 2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed orange juice
- ¼ tsp. fresh orange zest
- 1 Tbsp. sesame seeds
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh basil
- In a medium saucepan, boil green tea with salt and pepper. Stir in rice; return to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer; cover and cook for 20 minutes then remove from heat and add onions, cherries and spinach. Set aside, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl; add remaining ingredients. Gently toss to combine.
- Serve at room temperature.
Serving Size: ¾ cup Calories: 115.8 cal • Fat: 1.7 g • Protein: 2.5 g • Carbs: 23.2 g • Fiber: 2.4 g • Sugar: 5.9 g • Sodium: 119.8 mg