Tasty Nutritious Cheesecake
This cheesecake tastes great with no refined sugar, flour, grain or gluten its nutritious and delicious. This is great if you have friends coming over and want to serve up a tasty treat with lots of goodness .You can make it on a weekend for a tasty afternoon or a snack in the week at work. The creamy texture comes instead from the blend of honey, coconut oil and ripe avocados and of course the avocados lend the beautiful green colour. The tasty biscuit base from walnuts( you could use pecans or mixed nuts), coconut and cacao nibs bound together and sweetened with dates.
Either way this cheesecake is easy to make and really does taste great.
INGREDIENTS: (serves 6-8)
For the base:
125g (4½oz) walnuts, soaked and dried as above
45g (1½oz) desiccated coconut
70g (2½oz) cacao nibs
185g (6½oz) pitted dates (approx 32)
3 tbsp coconut oil, melted and at room temperature
For the filling:
560g (1lb 2½oz) avocado flesh (from approx 5 medium-large avocados)
200ml (7fl oz) lime juice (roughly 8 to 10 limes)
175ml (6fl oz) coconut oil, melted and at room temperature
1 tsp lime zest
190g (6¾oz) honey
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/300°F/gas mark 2.
- Place the walnuts (nuts) and desiccated coconut on a lined baking-tray lined. Place in the oven for seven to eight minutes, until toasted.
- Transfer the walnuts (nuts) to a food processor and add the rest of the base ingredients. Blend until the mixture is crumbly (don’t let it go completely smooth) and holds together when pinched.
- Line the base and sides of an 18cm (7in) round cake tin with baking-paper and tip in the base mixture. Press this down firmly and evenly with the back of a spoon, ensuring it is neat and flat where it meets the tin. Transfer the tin to the fridge while you prepare the filling.
- Place all of the ingredients for the filling into the food processor and blend until the mixture is completely smooth and silky. Check for taste – add more lime juice, zest or honey according to preference, but it’s best to keep this deliciously tangy.
- Remove the cake tin from the fridge and pour the filling over the base. Cover the tin, using a plate or clingfilm, and return it to the fridge for a few hours or overnight.
- To serve, run a knife between the tin and the cake and carefully push the base up from the bottom. Transfer to a plate and serve immediately.